Planetary Science Vision 2050 Workshop
NASA’s Planetary Science Division (PSD) is planning to host a community workshop at NASA headquarters in Washington, DC on February 27–28 and March 1, 2017. This workshop is meant to provide PSD with a very long-range vision of what planetary science may look like in the future. The workshop will gather the leading experts in Solar System planetary science and related disciplines with experts in space technologies to identify potential science goals and enabling technologies that can be implemented by the end of the 2040s and support the next phase of Solar System exploration.
This workshop is not a mini-decadal survey with recommendations and priorities, nor is it an implementation plan. It is a long-range vision document with options, possibilities, and a visionary future.
This Planetary Science Vision (PSV) 2050 Workshop will:
- present a compelling, 35-year science vision within the framework of future decades (2020s, 2030s, and 2040s);
- take the Planetary Science decadal survey as the starting point and build upon it;
- be science-based, with notional technologies and missions;
- take into account community input through the workshop (papers, posters, presentations);
- prepare a Vision 2050 Report summarizing the workshop results;
- deliver the report to the Planetary Science Division Director.
The PSV 2050 report should:
- have a compelling, overarching planetary science theme for each decade as the next phase in Solar System Exploration;
- contain one or multiple paths forward (science areas and technologies needed) towards a long-range vision;
- consider cross-cutting opportunities with other disciplines as well as the larger context of international planetary science and human exploration;
- be built on science investigations goals, leading to notional missions that achieve the science as appropriate;
- consider the technology needed to achieve specific goals;
- identify challenges (e.g. measurement challenges, technology challenges….) that will need early investment to become viable.
Details about the workshop are available at the Planetary Science Vision 2050 Workshop website: http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/V2050/.