Life…Out of This World? A New Collection of Astrobiology Lesson Plans
A new set of Astrobiology lesson plans for K-12 classrooms from Albion College.
In this collection of science activities, seven thorough lesson plans regarding distinct topics in Astrobiology are presented. Each lesson plan has direct and descriptive rationale, objectives, materials, instructions, assessments, reflections, standards, grade levels, and evaluations. The activities range in age and grade level, allowing for variations and optional add-ons. The lesson plans cover a variety of topics including extraterrestrials, the Seagar equation, the Drake equation, exoplanets, life’s essentials, NASA exploration, and NASA scientists.
With the use of these lessons, students are invited into a new division of science with interactive and exciting activities to grow their knowledge.
1. ET and Me: If I were an Extraterrestrial…
2. ET Puppets: Extraterrestrial Puppets with Options
3. Exoplanets/Exoplanets Worksheet: Comparing the Earth to an Exoplanet
4. NASA Missions: Investigating NASA Space Missions
5. NASA Scientists: Interviewing a NASA Scientist, with Options
6. Scavenger Hunt / Scavenger Hunt Worksheet: Ingredients of Life Scavenger Hunt
7. Seager-Drake: Seagar Equation vs. Drake Equation
The content was developed at Albion College by Professor Nicolle Zellner (Albion College Department of Physics) and Victoria Della Pia (Albion Elementary School), with educational oversight by Melissa Kirven-Brooks (NASA Astrobiology). To develop these lesson plans and assessments, Victoria Della Pia was supported by a grant from the Foundation for Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity at Albion College.
For more astrobiology education resources, visit the Education Page.