2018 International Summer School in Astrobiology: Biomarkers: Signs of Life Through Space and TimeNovember 7, 2018
The 2018 International Summer School in Astrobiology: Biomarkers: Signs of Life Through Space and Time will be held at the summer campus of the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo (UIMP), Palacio de la Magdalena, Santander, Spain from June 25-29, 2018.
One of the primary objectives of Astrobiology is the search for life on planets or satellites in which the physico-chemical conditions permit the appearance and maintenance of active biology over geologic timescales. The detection of signs of life hinges on a firm understanding of a world’s environment, so that one can determine which measurements and observations can reveal the presence of extinct or extant life.
The theme of the XVI School of Astrobiology will be the biomarkers (morphologic, chemical, isotopical, etc.) that permit the discovery of biological processes, as well as current and future technologies to detect them. The lectures will focus on early Earth, Mars, icy satellites and exoplanets. In addition to the lectures, during the week the students will participate in discussions about the theme, prepare and present group projects, and take part in an excursion to a local, relevant geological site near Santander. The School is aimed primarily at graduate students in science and engineering, but is open to all attendees with an interest in the interdisciplinary framework of Astrobiology.
- 2019 - From Astrochemistry to the Origin of Life
- 2018 - Biomarkers: Signs of Life Through Space and Time
- 2017 - Exoplanet Habitability
- 2016 - Earth Analog Environments and the Search for Life Beyond the Earth
- 2015 - The Origin of Life: From Monomers to Cells
- 2014 - Habitable Environments in the Universe
- 2013 - Biosignatures: The Fingerprints of Life
- 2012 - Origins of the Building Blocks for Life
- 2011 - Mars Exploration: Unveiling a Habitable Planet
- 2010 - Extrasolar Planets and Habitability
- 2009 - Earth's Extremophiles and Extraterrestrial Habitability
- Josep Comas i Sola International Summer School in Astrobiology - Main Page