2009 Annual Science Report
Carnegie Institution of Washington Reporting | JUL 2008 – AUG 2009
EPO Activity: Publications for General Audiences
1. The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets, New York, Perseus Books Group, 2009
2. The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets, invited column in Astronomy Beat, Astronomical Society of the Pacific, 2009
3. Are Exoplanets ‘Planets’, newspaper article in Estrela D’Alva, daily newspaper of the International Astronomical Union General Assembly, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2009
4. Brave New Worlds, Physics World, March 2009
1. Hazen, R.M. and J.S. Trefil (2009) Science Matters, 2nd Edition. New York: Doubleday, 360 p.
2. Trefil, J.S. and R.M. Hazen (2009) The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, 6th edition. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 555 p.
3. Hazen, R.M. and Trefil, J.S. (2009) Great Ideas of Science: A Reader in the Classic Literature of Science. San Diego, CA: University Readers, 224 p.
4. Hazen, R.M. (2009) Les minéraux évoluent aussi. [in French] La Récherché 430 (May 2009), 60-63.
5. R. M. Hazen (2009) On the evolution of minerals. [in Korean] Science Donga 282 (June 2009), 54-59.
6. Hazen, R.M. and J. M. Ferry (2010) Mineral evolution: Mineralogy in the fourth dimension. Elements 6, #1, in press.
7. Hazen, R.M. and N. Eldredge (2010) Themes and variations in complex systems. Elements 6, #1, in press.
8. Hazen, R.M. (2010) On the origin of (mineral) species. Scientific American, in press.
1. Building Planets in Discs of Chaos. Sky and Telescope, November 2008
1. The Encyclopedia of Microbiology, Third Edition, Editors in Chief, J. Lederberg and M. Schaecter, Elsevier Press, London, 2009