2012 Santander Summer School: Origins of the Building Blocks for LifeNovember 25, 2013
School title: Origins of the Building Blocks for Life
Location: Palacio de Magdalena, Santander, Cantabria, Spain
Dates: June 18 – June 22, 2012
Application deadline: March 16, 2012 (NAI scholarships)
Application deadline: March 30, 2012 (CIFAR scholarships)
A week of lectures from international experts, plus round-table discussions, student projects, night-sky observations, and a field trip to a nearby site of astrobiological interest. On-site accommodation and all meals are provided at the Santander campus of the Spanish national university, UIMP.
Scholarships covering travel costs, school fees, accommodation and meals are provided by NAI for students studying at U.S. institutions.
Centro de Astrobiologia and UIMP cover the costs for Spanish students.
Additional opportunities are available for students of some other nations.
George Cody, Carnegie Institution of Washington
Jamie Elsila, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Karen Meech, University of Hawaii
Juan Pérez Mercader, Harvard University (founder and former director of the Centro de Astrobiología)
Alessandro Morbidelli, Observatoire de la Côte d’Azur, Nice
Stephen Mojzsis, Université de Lyon (on leave from the University of Colorado)
Program and Presentations
Summer School Scholars
Student Scholarship Support
1. Students of any nationality studying at U.S. institutions may apply for an NAI Scholarship. Application Deadline: March 16, 2012
2. Students of any nationality studying at Canadian institutions may apply for a CIFAR scholarship. Application Deadline: March 30, 2012
3. European students who are citizens of European Space Agency Member States or Cooperating States may apply for ESA sponsorship to participate in the summer school. For application information write to the UIMP Student Secretariat at email@example.com and mention the name of the summer school “X International School of Astrobiology – Josep Comas i Solà. Origins of the Building Blocks for Life”
4. Scholarship support for students of other nations will be advertised as opportunities become available.
NAI – NASA Astrobiology Institute
CAB – Spanish Centro de Astrobiología
CIFAR – Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
ESA – European Space Agency
UIMP – Universidad Internacional Menendez Pelayo
- 2019 - From Astrochemistry to the Origin of Life
- 2018 - Biomarkers: Signs of Life Through Space and Time
- 2017 - Exoplanet Habitability
- 2016 - Earth Analog Environments and the Search for Life Beyond the Earth
- 2015 - The Origin of Life: From Monomers to Cells
- 2014 - Habitable Environments in the Universe
- 2013 - Biosignatures: The Fingerprints of Life
- 2012 - Origins of the Building Blocks for Life
- 2011 - Mars Exploration: Unveiling a Habitable Planet
- 2010 - Extrasolar Planets and Habitability
- 2009 - Earth's Extremophiles and Extraterrestrial Habitability
- Josep Comas i Sola International Summer School in Astrobiology - Main Page